Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Alaku Roja

There is a woman at GO, Rachel, whose title is something like Transformation Officer. It’s her job to make sure women who are clients of GO have the resources and knowledge they need to be successful. Today I accompanied her on a client visit.

We were visiting a group of about a dozen women who call themselves Alaku Roja. They’ve formed a group that borrows money from Growing Opportunity so that they can work. One woman uses her share to sell flowers. Another uses her share to make sarees to sell. They’ve borrowed up to their credit limit 20000 rupees (about $450) three times now and paid back every time. They have to pay back within 24 weeks, according to their agreement. Today we went to start them on their 4th cycle.

They were located in the West Mambalam neighborhood. When we walked up to the house, there was a pile of garbage and old, rusted bikes.


I noticed a set of outhouses along one wall and then the house on the other side. The house was small – only four rooms. The entry way also had a bed and the kitchen was basically a sink with stuff piled all around. The walls were blue and written on.


I asked if I could take pictures and they happily agreed. After I shot the first one, they couldn’t wait to see the picture in the camera. I anticipated this and showed them the picture as soon as they asked. They thought I understood Tamil!! We went inside and they offered me water and insisted that I sit on the bed. They were all so gracious and fussed a lot about my comfort. They were tickled that I was interested in this whole thing.

Every Client Relationship Officer (or CRO . . . think RM in Wells Fargo world) visits each group once per week. Each visit starts with the group reciting their group statement. I’m guessing this statement has something to do with their commitment to work, good business practice and other sorts of things. Then the CRO reviews their payment summary and meeting notes. The group has saved over 46000 rupees since they joined together.

Finally, the CRO gives them some information. Today we talked about how to notice when your kids are sick and when to take them to the doctor. That it’s important to be clean, brush your teeth, bathe, sweep your floors. You need to wear shoes outside and take them off before you come in. Always boil water before you drink it. The women listened intently and admitted that they don’t always do these things.

Next we talked about their group name, Alaku Roja. They said it meant Beautiful Rose. When the CRO was translating this to me, the women joked that they must be translating that I am the beautiful rose. Then she said to them that we are all created in God’s image and we are all Beautiful. They were really happy to hear that!!

Finally, I sat on the floor with them for a picture. They couldn’t believe that I would sit with them. They hugged me from all sides!

Labels:

5 Comments:

At 2:08 PM, Blogger Zoë said...

it's so great to see you've got your blog going! i love the photos, and everything seems so exciting.

 
At 2:08 PM, Blogger Zoë said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

 
At 9:54 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

YEA Jeannette!!!

I want to go soooo bad, your the best. i read everything, look like so much fun..i am going to plan a shoe factory hunting trip for sure.

love, Max.

 
At 12:41 PM, Blogger RS Secretary said...

Hi J!

Great to hear about your travels. Looks and sounds like all is well with you! The girls and I are going to enjoy learning about India through your blog. It's gonna go by so fast - enjoy!! Love, Mel

 
At 2:02 PM, Blogger Adam said...

I miss you, Beautiful Rose!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home